WPGA High School Invitational at Maple Bluff CC
The WPGA Junior Foundation and Madison Edgewood High School teamed up to run an Invitational golf event today at Maple Bluff CC in Madison. The players had a perfect day to play golf. Last year they played in snow flurries, what a difference a year makes. We had 22 teams compete from around the state. Joey Levin from Middleton was the medalist with a 2-under par 69. Logan Knecht from Madison Memorial was second with a 1-under par 70. Middleton won the team title today with 313, edging out Madison Edgewood by one shot. Middleton team members are Brady Thomas, Joey Levin, Emmet Herb, Nils Arneson, Brett Wipfli and coached by Tom Cabalka.
We would like to thank Maple Bluff CC, Host PGA Professional Brian Bishop, Superintendent Josh LePine, Host School Madison Edgewood, Host Athletic Director Chris Zwettler and our friends at the WSGA for making this event possible. Good luck to all the boys teams as they start the season.
2016 Online Registration
Junior Members click above to login into your players account and register for events. You can also cancel out of events from your players account. Get familiar with your account before registration goes live.
Changes for registration for Junior Tour #12 (Irish Course at Whistling Straits.
First, we will conduct a lottery drawing for players to get into this event. Juniors will have 24 hours from when registration starts (April 4th at 6 p.m.) to register. Everyone that registers during this time will be put into a pending status and your credit card will not be charged. The lottery drawing will be random and will take place on April 7th. Once the lottery takes place the selected entries will be charged on credit card you registered with. Second, the tournament will Only be open to boys & girls ages 14-18. This golf course is very difficult and we have had issues with pace of play in the 13 & under division in years past. This prompted the age change.
Season Kick-Off event
The Junior Foundation has created a fun day to help kick start the season. Swing Time Golf Range in Germantown will be our host. This will be open to juniors ages 7 to 18. Juniors will compete in a long drive contest, mini golf contest and also attend a rules clinic. The event should take a few hours to complete and will have group start times based on age. The event will cost $15 to attend but your entry fee will get you a $10 credit for an event this summer. How can you pass this up for only $5! Registrations will be taken online and you will see this event on the schedule.
New Events & Updates
The Junior Foundation has created a few new events for the 2016 season.
· Lake Arrowhead Invitational will move to a June date of June 26th & 27th to make room for the Tour Championship that will take place in August. The Tour Championship will be an Invitational and juniors will receive invites at events throughout the summer. Junior Tour overall winners for boys and girls divisions and top 3 boys and girls at American Family Insurance Championship Players Tour events.
· A Team Championship event will also be new on the schedule. Reedsburg CC will host on July 14th. This event will allow juniors to play in a team format while also competing as an individual. This event will be similar to a high school team format event, but juniors can register with friends or high school teammates/friends.
· Two person Summer Scramble will be new on the schedule. Old Hickory GC will host this event on July 29th. Grab a friend and play!
· The Future Tour will also see a new event at Blackwolf Run on August 26th. Juniors who play will be paired with a PGA Professional or WPGA Alumni to play in groups with juniors to give them advice and mentorship on the course.
Drive, Chip & Putt Events - Free Registration!
The Junior Foundation, along with the WPGA, will be running 6 local qualifiers and 1 sub-regional Drive, Chip and Putt events. Top 3 finishers from qualifiers advance to sub-regional and top 2 sub-regional finishers advance to regionals at Hazeltine County Club, MN. Winners at the regional advance to the finals at Augusta National in 2017. Registration is free for these events for kids ages 7-15! Register at www.drivechipandputt.com.
Junior Newsletter Recap and 2016 Schedule
Check out the Junior Tour Newsletter and 2015 Recap
Its time to start thinking about the 2016 junior golf tournament season. We have a great lineup of golf courses on the schedule for 2016. The tentative schedule is now available. A few events will be added to the schedule and changes may occur.
View the 2016 Tentative Junior Schedule
Timeline for 2016
- Anyone who played in an event or was junior member in 2015 will receive a junior membership application in the mail over the next few weeks.
- If you are new and would like a junior calendar mailed to you, please email Andy at firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on mailing list. Email name and address.
- Online registration for Junior Membership will be start Wednesday, January 20.
- 2015 Scholarship Application will be online starting January 20.
- Parents & Juniors will be mailed the Junior Calendar Packet in late March.
- Tournament registration will look to go live on April 5.
Danielson Makes the cut at PGA Tour event
Pacific Palisades, California - Former junior member and 2-time Wisconsin Cup Team player Charlie Danielson had an incredible week playing in the Northern Trust Open! The Illini senior won the Collegiate Showcase which qualified him to play in the PGA Tour event. The Northern Trust Open is played at Riviera CC.
On his first hole in a PGA Tour event Charlie made birdie! He fired a first round 4-under par 67 to be in T4 position with some guys named Rory McIlroy and Justin Leonard to name a few. Charlie made the cut and had the lowest score for an amateur since 1981 at the Northern Trust Open. He shot rounds of 67-72-73-77 for a 289 total. Take a look at Charlie's picture from college and his picture from the Lake Arrowhead Invitational when he was 14 years old. He has come a long way from WPGA junior events. Congrats Charlie on a great showing and we look forward to seeing what you do in the future. Scoring from the Northern Trust Open can be seen here. Follow Charlie on twitter at @charliegolf24.
it seems golf really runs in the Danielson family. His siblings are also very good players. His older sister Lindsay played for the badgers and has graduated from UW. Younger sister Casey plays for the Stanford Cardinal who won the Women's National Championship last year!
Drive, Chip & Putt Registration Now Open
The USGA, Masters Tournament and the PGA of America recently announced the 2017 Drive, Chip and putt local qualifying schedule. Qualifiers for the 2017 national event will take place this coming year. The schedule includes dates and locations throughout the United States. Included in that list are six local qualifying sites in Wisconsin.
Local Qualifying will take place on July 5th at Edgewood GC, July 7th at Thornberry Creek at Oneida, July 12th at SentryWorld, July 21st at Rolling Meadows GC, July 26th at The Legend at Merrill Hills and July 28th at The Legend at Bergamont.